Authentic Italian Pizza Dough Recipe: The Best Way to Make Pizza Dough at Home
This simple pizza dough recipe is a perfect start for beginner chefs! Light yet crunchy, it serves as the perfect base for any kind of pizza you can imagine. Whether you stick with the classic toppings or try experimenting new ones, you’re sure to fall in love with this recipe!
Pizza Dough from Scratch
- 2 cups flour (00 flour or bread flour)
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 grams yeast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 430 degrees.
- Combine the flour, salt, and sugar together in a large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. If using regular yeast, you will also want to add this in. If you’re using instant yeast, save it for step number 5!
- Start slowly adding the water to the dry mixture and combining it together until the water is gone.
- Do the same thing with the oil, slowly adding it bit by bit until everything is well combined. The dough should be soft and smooth, not too dry or too sticky. If it’s too dry, add more water. Too sticky, add more flour. Remember that a little goes a long way though so don’t overdo it.
- If using instant yeast, this is the point you would start kneading it into the mixture until well combined – it is now ready to be shaped! If using regular yeast, at this point you will want to shape the mixture into a ball, set it inside the mixing bowl, cover it with a towel and then put it inside the oven with just the oven light on. Let this set in here for at least 2.5 hours or up to a day.
- Now you will want to separate the dough into two even sized balls. Lightly flour a flat surface and start rolling out the dough until it is as thin as you can get it without tearing. Once they are shaped, transfer them to a pan, lightly coat in olive oil, and throw them in the oven for at least 2 minutes to let the dough get a little crispy.
- Take them out and start topping with your choice of ingredients! Throw them back in the oven until the toppings are nicely cooked on top. Enjoy!