Flavorful & Quick Vegetarian Pesto Tofu Pasta: Healthy Italian Recipe
This is more of a modern day Italian recipe due to the tofu, but it is a much healthier alternative to using red meat. It’s simple, quick, and a great go-to for a quick lunch when you’re in a rush! The tofu serves as a source of protein and pairs wonderfully with the aromatic pesto while the pasta helps to fill you up until your next meal. This recipe is so easy that it almost explains itself, but here is a little step-by-step to help guide you along!
Pesto and Tofu Pasta
- 1 package firm tofu (12-14 oz)
- 1 jar Pesto
- 1 package Penne pasta (we use about 240 grams per 2 servings)
- If you’ve ever cooked tofu before, then you know you have to squeeze out the excess water. While there are many ways to do this, I choose the easy route and just gently press it between pieces of paper towel. Make sure to not squeeze too hard, or it will crumble, but also to squeeze hard enough to get the majority of the water out.
- At this point, start boiling water for the pasta and heat up a medium sized. Next, heat up a saucepan on medium heat and drizzle in a decent amount of olive oil. Dice the tofu into small squares, but don’t worry about precision since we will actually be crumbling it.
- Once the pan is hot enough, take a handful of the tofu and gently crumble it over the saucepan. You want the tofu to be big enough to grab with a fork so don’t smash them up too much! Keep doing that until all of the tofu has been used.
- Fry up the tofu until it is lightly browned and crispy. Turn the heat down to low and then spoon out the pesto into the saucepan – feel free to use as little or as much as you like. Mix with the tofu until well-combined.
- Once the pasta is done, drain and transfer to the saucepan. Mix everything together, transfer to a bowl, top with Parmesan and enjoy!