Authentic Italian Sausage and Lentils Recipe: Hearty and Flavorful Dish
Lentils have been a staple food in the Italian diet for millennia, dating all the way back to 13,000 BC, and many different variations for cooking it have popped up along the way. Through the rise and fall of the Roman Empire, this recipe has always stuck around and has even become a New Years Eve tradition symbolic for good luck and wealth in the upcoming year! You can find this dish in varied forms throughout many different regions of Italy with all kinds of added vegetables and various types of lentils.
Not only is the prep work and cooking pretty simple, but the reward is a hearty and aromatic delicious dish that everyone will love!
Sausage and Lentils
- 4 Italian sausages
- 10 oz lentils (cleaned)
- 1/4 cup red wine (a dry sparkling red would work best for this but any kind does the job)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 sprigs thyme (if using dried herbs, use about 3/4 teaspoon)
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1 large carrot
- 3 sticks celery
- 2 small shallots
- 3 cloves garlic (if using bottled minced garlic, about 3-4 teaspoons)
- 4 sprigs parsley (if using dried herbs, use about 1 teaspoon)
- salt and pepper (add to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Next, clean and peel the celery, carrots and shallots and cut them up into ¼-inch dices. Separate and set aside.
- Peel the garlic and mince it finely then set aside.
- Fill a saucepan with water and a handful of salt and let it simmer. Once it starts bubbling up, add the lentils, thyme, and bay leaf. Let it all simmer together until the lentils are soft, then drain and set aside.
- In a large nonstick pan, heat half of the olive oil on a medium high heat. Add the sausages and sear until they are browned on all sides, around 5 minutes or so (don’t worry, they don’t need to be fully cooked, just crispy on the outside). Once browned, set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil to the pan and add the shallots, garlic, carrots, and celery until almost tender.
- Then, add the lentils and red wine and stir together. Lay the sausages on top and place in the pre-heated oven until the sausages are thoroughly cooked, about 160 degree internal temperature or about 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, let it cool a little, taste and season with pepper and salt. Serve and garnish with fresh parsley if desired.