Italian Pizza con Patate Recipe: Perfect Homemade Potato Pizza
This classic style of pizza, pizza con patate, is possibly one of the simplest recipes! This style usually omits any kind of sauce or cheese – choosing to make the the thin, crispy potatoes layered on top the center point of this dish. You’ll fall in love with the light and delicate flavor of the creamy potatoes paired with the soft and silky dough beneath.
Pizza con Patate
- Pizza dough (this recipe is using pre-made dough from our pizza dough recipe, which is about 2 pizzas worth of dough)
- 4 large yellow potatoes
- few pinches Sea salt
- Rosemary (optional but highly recommended)
- Black pepper (optional)
- First, make sure to wash the potatoes thoroughly since we will not be peeling them. Thinly slice the potatoes and set them aside.
- Preheat the oven to 430°.
- Prepare the pizza dough on the pan (either square or round works) and make sure it fits to the corners. Drizzle a bit of olive oil across the dough.
- Start layering the potato slices across, letting them overlap slightly (but not too much so they don’t cook evenly) so there are no spaces underneath. I suggest layering them all the way to the edges, otherwise you might end up with a slightly burnt crust after baking. Drizzle more olive oil across the potatoes and sprinkle the rosemary, sea salt, and black pepper on top.
- Throw the pizza on the lowest possible rack and let it cook for 4-5 minutes. After that, transfer the pizza to the middle rack and continue cooking for about 10 minutes or so, or until the potatoes become noticeably crisp and browned on the edges.
- Take the pizza out of the oven and let it cool for 5-10 minutes before cutting up and serving. Enjoy!