Authentic Parmesan Risotto Recipe: A Creamy and Delicious Italian Classic
This rich and creamy risotto recipe will quickly become one of your favorites – It’s light and creamy and perfect for any time of the year. This recipe is a perfect base for other risotto recipes too, like spinach or seafood risotto, or you can just enjoy it in all its cheesy parmesan goodness!
- 400 grams Arborio rice (Arborio is highly recommended, otherwise it needs to be another type of Italian rice)
- 3 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 115 ml white wine
- 2 pints broth (homemade or store bought works for this)
- 1 large white onion
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano (finely chopped)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 25 g cubed parmesan
- Finely chop the onions. Heat a large saucepan on medium heat and add butter when warmed up. Once the butter has melted, add the onions and fry them up until they are golden brown (or about five minutes).
- Add the rice and stir into the saucepan until it is finely coated in the butter/onion mixture. Let the rice fry for about 2 or 3 minutes. Then, add the white wine and mix until it combines with the rice thoroughly.
- Pour a ½ pint of the broth into the saucepan and let it boil. Lower the heat and let it simmer long enough for the liquids to be absorbed by the rice – stir frequently.
- Repeat the process with another ½ pint of broth. Let it boil, lower the heat, let it simmer, and stir frequently. Only add the next ½ pint until the last one has fully absorbed into the rice, then repeat this process until all of the broth is gone.
- Once the broth has been absorbed, you should be left with a moderately creamy risotto. Take it off the heat and stir a tablespoon of butter in to enhance the creamy texture.
- Now, add the Parmesan cubes and start folding them into the rice, gently, until they melt and mix in.
- Add salt, pepper, and fresh oregano on top to taste. Enjoy!